NAMI provides this site for the benefit of its users and the public. NAMI does not regularily monitor and/or review the information from or communications by users of StrengthofUs. NAMI expressly disclaims responsibility for, and liabilities resulting from, any information or communication from and between users of StrengthofUs.
Users are warned they may be individually liable for anything they communicate or post on StrengthofUs, including but not limited to defamatory, discriminatory, false or unauthorized information. Users are cautioned that they are responsible for complying with the requirements of applicable copyright and trademark laws.
- The StrengthofUs Web site is here to help and is not the place to post or share with others information about wanting to end your life or engaging in serious self-harm. Posting and sharing such content is prohibited. If you are in crisis and need to talk, please call 1-800-273-8255(1-800-273-TALK) at any time, from any phone.
The StrengthofUs Web site is limited to users aged 18 years and older. By participating on this Web site, you are affirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Limitation of Liability
You agree that you will hold harmless NAMI and its officers, directors, employees and volunteers from all claims arising out of or related to your access or use of, or your inability to access or use, this Web site or the information contained in this Web site or other Web sites to which it is linked. You also agree that NAMI or the contributors of information to this Web site shall NOT be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on information provided on the StrengthofUs Web site or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if advised of the possibility of such damages.
Disclaimer on Professional Advice
The information available on and through the StrengthofUs Web site is presented in summary form as a supplement to, and NOT a substitute for, the knowledge, skill and judgment of qualified psychiatrists, psychologists, physicians and health care professionals. The information on StrengthofUs has been obtained from sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, NAMI makes no warranty as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of this information. Should you have any health, medical or disability questions or concerns, please consult a physician or other health care professional. Information accessed on or through StrengthofUs is neither complete nor exhaustive and does not cover all disabilities, diseases, illnesses and physical conditions or their management and/or treatment.
Information accessed on and through StrengthofUs is provided "AS IS" and without warranty, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose. The information provided on the StrengthofUs Web site is provided for general information only.
Disclaimer of Warranty
NAMI makes no warranties of any kind concerning this Web site, including but not limited to any warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, or any warranty that these pages, or the server that makes them available, are free of viruses or other harmful elements, and such warranties are expressly disclaimed.
You understand that the opinions and recommendations included in this Web site are not necessarily those of NAMI or endorsed by NAMI. NAMI may provide links to other Web sites, which are not under the control of NAMI. These links are included as a convenience to you and are not intended as an endorsement by NAMI of the organization or individual operating the Web site.
Usage of Content
Unless otherwise indicated, all information posted and contained on the StrengthofUs Web site, including - but not limited to - text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio and video clips, belong to NAMI.
NAMI grants the requested reprint permission without financial charge subject to your agreement to these conditions.
In the reprint, you will credit NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, as the source. You are not reselling the product at a profit. And you will send a copy of the result to this address:
Editor, NAMI, 3803 N. Fairfax Dr., Ste. 100, Arlington, VA 22203. (If the reprint is for use on a Web site, please send the citation to email@example.com).
For any information contained on the NAMI site that is attributed to another source, permission to reproduce must be obtained from the original source. Use of any robot, spider, other automatic device or manual process to monitor or copy the Web site or any of its content and "mirroring" the Web site or any content on any other server is prohibited unless prior permission is obtained from NAMI.
NAMI is a registered service mark of NAMI.
This Web site (excluding linked sites) is controlled by NAMI, which is headquartered in the Commonwealth of Virginia, in the United States of America. It can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as from other locations around the world. Each of these locations have laws that may differ from those of Virginia. Therefore, by accessing this Web site both you and NAMI agree that the statutes and laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without regard to principles of conflicts of law in Virginia or elsewhere, shall apply to all matters arising from or relating to use of this Web site. You and NAMI also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the state and/or federal courts located closest in proximity to the NAMI National Office in Arlington, Virginia should any matter arise related to NAMI.
Use of Web site Discussion Groups and the Social Networking Components of StrengthofUs
NAMI provides this Web site for the benefit of its registered users and the public. NAMI cannot and does not regularly monitor and/or review the information from or communications by users of StrengthofUs. NAMI expressly disclaims responsibility for, and liabilities resulting from, any information or communications from and between users of StrengthofUs.
Users are warned they may be individually liable for anything they communicate or post on StrengthofUs, including but not limited to defamatory, discriminatory, false or unauthorized information. Users are cautioned that they are responsible for complying with the requirements of applicable copyright and trademark laws and regulations.
The StrengthofUs Web site is for individuals to share their opinions, experiences and thoughts. NAMI wants to ensure the integrity of this service and therefore, use of this Web site is limited to participants who agree to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Refrain from transmitting any message, information, data, files or text that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, that may be invasive of another's privacy, hateful or bashing communications—especially those aimed at gender, race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious views or disability.
NAMI reserves the right to remove or edit posts containing offensive material as defined by NAMI. That stated, NAMI does not have the practical ability to restrict conduct or communications prior to transmission and posting, nor can NAMI ensure prompt editing or deletion of offensive content or posts.
NAMI reserves the right to remove or edit posts that contain explicit, obscene, offensive, or vulgar language. Similarly, any graphic files will be removed immediately upon notice.
- Refrain from posting or transmitting any unsolicited, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain mail", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation. NAMI reserves the right to delete these posts immediately upon notice.
- Refrain from posting content previously posted.
- Refrain from posting or uploading files larger than 10mb.
- NAMI invites and encourages a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with a participant's post or opinion and wish to challenge it, do so with respect. The real objective of StrengthofUs is to promote discussion and understanding, not to convince others that your opinion is "right." Name calling, insults and personal attacks are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. NAMI will remove these posts immediately upon notice.
- NAMI promotes privacy and encourages participants to keep personal information such as address and telephone number from being posted or shared. Similarly, do not ask for personal information from other participants. Discussion group posts or messages that request participants to submit personal information to another party will be removed immediately upon notice unless these posts have been pre-approved by NAMI staff. This includes, but is not limited to, communications that ask for telephone, address, e-mail, surveys and research studies.
- Participants should be aware that the opinions, beliefs and statements posted on the StrengthofUs Web site do not necessarily represent the opinions and beliefs of NAMI. Participants also agree that NAMI is not to be held liable for any loss or injury caused, in whole or in part, by sponsorship of this Web site. Participants also agree that NAMI reserves the right to report any suspicions of harm to self or others as evidenced by participant posts and communications.
- Posting off-topic messages to discussion groups will result in removal of and the possible suspension of posting privileges.
- Users may also lose their privileges to use the Web site at the sole discretion of NAMI.
Content Posted or Submitted by Users
Users of StrengthofUs may submit and post textual, graphic, audio and video content which may include, without limitation, comments to pages on the Web site, blog entries, messages on discussion groups, photos, video and audio material. Information and content posted on the StrengthofUs Web site is not confidential. All messages posted by users in discussion groups may be read by all users. Content posted or submitted by users are the property of NAMI and may be reused for other purposes without prior consent.
Content posted or shared by registered users is not regularly monitored for inappropriate content and is not edited. However, NAMI reserves the right but is not obligated, to remove content it believes to be inappropriate, inaccurate or in conflict with the views of NAMI without prior consent from the author.
Users must refrain from posting or uploading files larger than 10mb.
You agree you will not submit, post or upload any materials to the Web site that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party propriety rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant NAMI all of the license rights granted therein.
You agree that you will not submit, post or upload any material to the Web site that incites other users to commit self-harm or harm against others.
Posting and Sharing Personal Information
When deemed appropriate, and at its sole discretion, NAMI may provide user information, including identifying information that may have been entered into the Web site by the user, to authorized law enforcement agencies.
You agree that you are prohibited from using this site to commit fraudulent activities, violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation. Furthermore, no communications passing through this site may be defamatory, libelous, unlawfully threatening or unlawfully harassing, obscene or contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information. NAMI will take immediate action to prevent violators of this policy from using our site.
Treat All Community Members with Respect and with Kindness
- Respect others who are sharing their thoughts and ideas on the site.
- Follow the old adage “treat others the way you would like to be treated.”
Do Not Post Information On Wanting to End Your Life or Serious Self-Harm
- This site is here to help and is not the place to post or share with others information about wanting to end your life or engaging in serious self-harm. If you are at immediate risk of ending your life or engaging in serious self-harm, you are urged to connect with the following crisis hotline that includes caring individuals who are trained to effectively assist you in a crisis:
- If you are in crisis and need to talk, please call 1-800-273-8255(1-800-273-TALK at any time, from any phone. Also, don’t hesitate to call 911 or to go directly to an emergency room. Also, seek immediate help from a trusted friend or another individual who can assist you.
- Any posts that encourage illegal or destructive actions or behavior are not permitted and will be removed.
Breaking the Community Rules
- If you break the Community Rules your content will be deleted and your account suspended.
- If you believe that a member of the community has broken the rules go to the “Report This” button on the left side of the screen and let us know.